Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mild Shock

Apologies for leaving the blog. Not much chance to taste the cellared stuff lately.

It was with a little trepidation that I opened two of six bottles of 1988 Montana Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc that we uncovered in a bit of a cellar re-organisation. I was going to open them and just tip them down the drain, as who would expect a 22 year old Savvie, from Cyclone Bola year be in any fit state? And on top of that, the last couple of bottles opened were oxidised to heck!

It was a bit of nostalgia, nevertheless. Those pale green bottles, Bordeaux shaped, with the Montana crest moulded into the shoulder. The crest printed on the label prominently, and branded on the cork. Those were the days...

Anyway, out came the corks. Damp to 7/8ths of the way, but still firm and they didn't break. They poured a light golden yellow, but thankfully not brown. The aromas of asparagus gently wafted up, out of the glass I poured them into. Acid, thin, some oxidation, but not dead! Mild shock-horror! Then I poured them down the drain. Shame on me! I must be a snob?

I gave two bottles away, and still have two to go. I'll save them for a special ocassion. Not.
I promise to have some good wine to write up next, now that the re-organisation has been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment