Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Honey, I’m Home


The meeting was arranged.  I was home.  SWMBO was driving back some distance, and the Writer Joll was in town.  I chilled down the white and opened a red so there was no going back.  I just sat down to rest after all the chores, and in came SWMBO with “Honey I’m Home”.  A few moments later our guest arrived.  Perfect timing.  Our session of catching up with the gossip begun.

The white was a 2011 Clemens Busch Punderreicher Marienburg Riesling Spatlese Goldkapsel.  This is the other traditional side of the coin to the modern drier, higher alcohol, site expressive wines to what Clemens Busch is arguably more famous for.  So it was like going home to the fruit-sweet style.  This is the style I was brought up on, having really started enjoying German wines from the late 1960s.  This was light golden, smooth and seamless on nose and palate, unfolding layers of ripe yellow tropical fruits with honey and toast.  The classical cream and custard flavours and textures from development.  Wonderfully unctuous, but with enough acidity to still be lively and fresh.  Then waves of talc and musky botrytis, taking over from the fruit, and reaching to satisfy the senses and the soul,  I couldn’t think of a better homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment