Monday, August 26, 2013

Expectations Altered


It is easy to let expectations rule the mind and prejudice your impressions.  The ‘V Man’ brought along a 2011 Vigneau-Chevreau Vouvray Demi-Sec ‘Clos de Vaux’ for dinner.  My last couple of experiences of 2011 Vouvray were a bit disappointing, even though the reports are that it is better than the 2010, examples of which I seemed to enjoy.  I haven’t see Vigneau-Chevreau before, though my research said it was a “producer of note”, and there were no notes on them.  So I wasn’t expecting too much.  Where the ‘V Man’ sourced it from wasn’t a place of great provenance.  The odds were against it.

On opening the bottle, the‘Magic Man’ said it was a good example that would drink well earlier in its life.  He’s a man with lots of experience in such things, so I took it on board, with a grain of salt, of course.  First impressions were that it was light, a bit plain, and somewhat thin.  Sure some sugar was there, a little honeysuckle, and fine, sinewy reduction.  It was as I expected it to be.  Or was I programmed to see what I was told I should see?

With a little more time in the glass, it got richer, sweeter, and more complete with fruit depth and harmony.  Lovely tingling and dancing acidity, some yellow stonefruits, honey rather than honeysuckle, and a smooth, seamless texture with a hint of lusciousness.  Don’t get me wrong, it hadn’t changed dramatically, only subtly, but definitely in the right direction.  SWMBO and the ‘V Man’ had grins on their faces as they saw my expectations altered.   

No comments:

Post a Comment