Friday, November 16, 2012

Indulgence

Sometimes you’ve got to treat yourself.  And that’s what we did.  Young Jimmy brought Pitchfork Paul up for a quick visit, and as often can happen, a short appointment can lead to an all nighter.  Well, not quite this time, but it was a decent effort.  After going through assorted wines that our guests brought along for work, and samples that SWMBO and I had opened, and a bit of a bite to eat, it was time for a little indulgence.

Some wines and some labels have always done it for me.  SWMBO has learnt that these are my favourites and she has come to love them too.  First up was a 2010 Loosen Erdener Treppchen Riesling Kabinett.  While it hasn’t got the richness of Pralat, nor the spicy interest of Urziger Wurzgarten, the Treppchen site manages to have that blend of ethereal and exotic.  It’ll never get to the pradikat levels of Pralat, but Kabinett’s exactly where we love it.  It’s a small step to heaven, but a significant one.  The 2010 was unformed and unenjoyable six months ago, but it’s a joy now, with a little spitzig tingle, it was the perfect refreshing introduction wine.  It’s the ultimate for SWMBO anytime.

I started my vinous love affair on Gewurztraminer, seduced by its brazen opulence and heady rush.  It must be addictive, because even after weaning myself off, all it takes is a sip, and I’m suckered in again.  There are many ‘GWT’s I like from these shores, though the Alsace models are my all-time highs.  The 2010 Dry River ‘Lovat’ Martinborough Gewurztraminer has been an irresistible one for both of us, and the case we got has now whittled down to just one bottle.  Sensationally seamless, but with the honied roses that seems so bold.  And far too young, I know these can go a decade if you leave them alone.  But who can do that?

And then onto the burgundy wine that pulls my heart-strings.  It’s not a grand cru – only a little Beaune 1er Cru.  I was brought up on Drouhin wines, and they taught me about the region, and how to appreciate elegance, delicacy, sensuality and gentleness.  ‘Feminine burgundy is beautiful’ is what I discovered after a diet of stern and intellectual claret.  And the ‘Clos des Mouches’ does all that with enough oomph to connect with the New World drinker.  Also, I love the funky label with the bees buzzing around.  The 2009 Drouhin Beaune 1er ‘Clos des Mouches’ came out toasty-oaky, but silky and slippery.  As it sat in glass, the oak melded in, and the serious tannins came out to play.  There’s enough cherry and berry sweetness to lush it all up, but again, infanticide.

You’ve just got to go with the flow when you get indulged…       

No comments:

Post a Comment